Thu, June 14, 2012 Rally for a STATEWIDE ban on fracking outside of the DEC regional headquarters in Syracuse, NY. The DEC office in Syracuse represents Broome, Cayuga, Chenango, Cortland, Madison, Onondaga, Oswego, Tioga, and Tompkins Counties. Frack Action NY and New Yorkers Against Fracking had already called for rallies across New York State when the New York Times published an article “Cuomo Proposal Would Restrict Gas Drilling to a Struggling Area” indicating a plan from the NYS DEC and Governor Cuomo to create sacrifice zones for fracking in the Southern Tier. It is not okay to turn any part of New York or any New Yorkers into sacrificial fracking guinea pigs (or lambs) The science is clear that nothing short of a statewide ban on fracking will protect New Yorkers. Governor Cuomo and the DEC need do their job and protect every New Yorker.
- Rene Vogelsang, Regional organizer for Frack Action and New Yorkers Against Fracking
- Kathleen Joy, Councior at Large, City of Syracuse
- Jean Kessner, Councior at Large, City of Syracuse
- Joe Heath, Legal Council, Onondaga Nation
- Mary Menapace, nurse, Shaleshock CNY
- Sandra Steingrabber, Author, biologist, and co-founder, New Yorkers Against Fracking
- Andi Gladstone, Executive Director, New York State Breast Cancer Network, New Yorkers Against Fracking
- Bill Fischer, Lafayette, NY, formerly of Vestal and Pennsylvania
- Chris Tate, New Yorkers Against Fracking; 10. Howie Hawkins, Green Party
- Matt Grayson, business owner, organized Gasland Screening with cousin Alec Baldwin Syracuse, N.Y.
Dozens rallied in front of the state Department of Environmental Conservation’s regional headquarters in Syracuse today, demanding that Gov. Andrew Cuomo and the DEC ban hydraulic fracturing throughout the state. Read full story on syracuse.com.